Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish (American) Soda Bread, Version II

My first Irish (American) soda bread experiment was absolutely delicious, and I would definitely make it again, but the bread turned out much softer and springier than I had expected, and I felt it could do with a little more fruit.  Somehow, it just wasn't quite like the soda bread I used to buy this time of year from a local bakery.  So, naturally, I decided to give it another try, especially since I needed some bread for my St Patrick's Day breakfast anyway.

This time, I took the same simple white soda bread recipe I used last time, and added currants and a little sugar.  I hoped leaving out the egg I used last time would result in something with the texture of a basic soda bread, and the sugar and currants would add just enough sweetness to the finished product.

It turned out wonderfully!  It's just sweet enough, but still has the texture of traditional soda bread.  Perfect for breakfast, with lots of butter!


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup dried currants


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F.  Flour a baking sheet.  Combine flour, sugar, and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl.  Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.  Fold in currants.  Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and form into a round loaf.  Place loaf on the floured baking sheet, cut a deep cross in the top (at least half way through), and bake in the preheated oven 30-40 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment